Tuesday, October 27, 2009

In the Pink!






I installed the front half of the insulation in the ceiling today. The front half of the ceiling was the hard part, because there was no frame work in the fiberglass nose cone to hang the insulation or Luan plywood from.


Before I installed the insulation board, I finished roughing in the wiring for the 12v lights and fan, plus installed the cabling for speakers and the 3o amp AC feed into the power panel.


After roughing in the wiring , I started by building a framework from 1x6 clear pine. The top part matches the curve of the fiberglass. The bottom is cut to provide framework to screw the Luan up now that the pink foam is installed.






The bottom "legs" of the frame are cut to 45 degree angles, and once the walls and ceiling are lined with Luan, I'll screw some finished wood into these 45 degree legs to finsh off the interior. The space between the 45 degree finish and the rounded exterior will be stuffed with fiberglass batting and can be used for chasing wires.



After putting the board foam into the framework, I continued back with the foam insulation. The next challenge was installing foam around the fan vent. Rather than try cutting a hole in a single piece, I opted to cut the board into 4 pieces and fit them around the vent.



Now that the front half of the ceiling is "in the pink" I'm anxious to finish the rest of the insulation and start putting up the Luan to finish off the interior.



Stay tuned!


Gil


No comments:

Post a Comment