Thursday, July 2, 2009

Catsup, Ketchup,,, no,,, Catch Up






As the title of this post implies, I have some "catch up" to do on this blog. It has been over a month since my last post, and in that month we have had many adventurettes.

We've travelled from Utah to Iowa to Michigan to Virginia, and then come back as far as Montana. Overall, we've spent most of the time "camped" in my son, Bruce's, driveway in Lovettsville, Virginia. While we were there, we spent a lot of time chillin' (which at our advanced years amounts to sitting on the couch enjoying the air conditioning and gazing stupidly into the television.)

Every once in a while, we did pry ourselves off of Bruce and Donna's couch to do some out 'n back (outback?) trips. With my AADD onset (which actually started when I became an adult, which cured the ADD I had as a kid) I will do a series of posts covering some of the highlights and lowlights of our journey over the last month.

I will attempt to post with the correct dates, now that I have finally advanced to the state of figuring out I have the option to change post dates. So, supposedly, once I've backdated everything this post will be at the end, instead of the beginning. By doing this, I hope to confuse the hell out of any unsuspecting readers I may have gathered, and therefore will have brought you all to my state of unconciousness.

While I have you here and reading, before you tear up the blog url and burn it so you never again have to be subjected to my rancid ranting, I may as well give you my July 2nd Update:

Yestereday was a big travel day. We awoke in the forested setting of the Covered Wagon RV Park in Piedmont, South Dakota and I washed all the bugs off the front of the coach in prep for applying a new batch. Then, we hooked up the Trail Limo and headed west. With exhaust spewing from our cracked manifold, sounding like an old beater truck on its last legs, we coughed and choked our way down to the I-90 onramp and headed towards Wyoming.

With all the rain they have this spring, the area around Rapid City is still lush and green, even though it is July now, and usually the wild grasses would be brown. It makes everything look lush and inviting. I thought, "Wow, what a nice place to be in July!" Probably more than most years.

The euphoria of the green hills with piney tops and the deep blue sky continued throughout the day as we flew down the hills and crawled up them. The crawling wasn't too bad this time, as we didn't hit any hills above the Interstate limits of 6%, and even those were relatively short.

Our green euphoria continued for over 300 miles, until we pulled into the west side of Billings, Montana. Suddenly, verdant and pastoral hills were replaced by smokestacks and railroad tracks. The areas between these were filled with blight, and the smell of oil refineries.

One sniff of the oil refineries, and we knew, "This must be the place!" (ref. North SLC, UT, Brigham Young, etc.) We stopped and camped in the Laurel, Montana Walmart parking lot amidst refineries, railroad tracks, and the I-90 freeway to complete the ambiance.

After Willa completed her obligatory Walmart shopping trip, she came back with arms loaded, and knocked on the door of the RV to have me open it and help her up the steps with her bounty. During the process, Monty did his Houdini impression and slipped out the door, then took off running across the busy Walmart lot. He decided it was time to get to know the neighbors. He beelined to a guy who was standing outside a motorhome parked a little ways across the lot from us.

As I recaptured Monty from the fellow, we started talking about what brought us to this place, and it turned out we had similar travels for the last week. Gus and his wife, Heather, left Pennsylvania just a few days before we left Lovettsville, and we both ended up taking the norther route across the midwest, ending up in this less-than-idealic camping spot in the Laurel Walmart. After enjoying our travels, we exchanged contact info and wished each other happy trails.



This morning, I woke up and read the blog for Gus and Heather's travels at http://werroadtrippin.blogspot.com/ and it motivated me to start with the catsup, ketchup, err... catch up you now have endured. To see what we have done in the last month... stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment