Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My First "Snud" Storm

Well, after 61 years, I believe I have just seen a new first in my weather experiences. A Snud storm! I'm not even sure that a lot of weather experts have seen this, because I think it takes a very unique set of circumstances:

First, the day began with a howling windstorm. Gusts were up in the high 30 mph range. Since most of the ground around Moab is red sand, after several hours, the town was engulfed in a red dust storm. Then, a big black storm cloud came over the valley, and proceeded to drop a little hail storm. The hail rapidly turned to rain, and then to snow... but not just snow, the snowflakes are, in effect, washing the sand out of the sky. The mixture of snow and sand is making a red mud, which I have determined shall be called "Snud". The flakes don't actually look that different from regular snow. When they melt on the windows or other surfaces, they leave a thick trail of red mud.

So here we sit, in a beautiful setting of rock mountains and desert Junipers just outside our window, watching the Snud fall as we sip our Gumbo. It's a crazy day here in Moab. If it keeps coming down tonight, we will build a Snudman and take a picture. Right now, it is 42 degrees and the Snud melts on contact, so it may not be a good day for Snudmen tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment